Salt for Life is the revolutionary new salt from NuTek Food Science, a company that develops technology-driven solutions for healthier foods you can feel good about consuming. Through a proprietary recipe that blends potassium salt from Canada and sea salt from Brazil, Salt for Life delivers an unprecedented 75 percent reduction in sodium, replacing it with potassium, a necessary nutrient. Salt for Life is Nature’s Alternative Salt, and is great for both topical and in-recipe use at home, delivering the salt taste consumers love with improved nutrition.
We just discovered and started using Salt For Life and will continue to use it. There have been many times when I have had to leave the salt out of my recipes entirely due to the sodium being way to high. I have a roommate that needs to stick to a low sodium diet so I was excited when I discovered Salt For Life. Now we can add the flavor without the health risk. 75% less sodium is HUGE.
Ingredients for the Blackened Fish:
1 1⁄2 lbs tilapia fillets
1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon Salt for Life
1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
12 corn tortillas
Ingredients for the Slaw:
1⁄2 red cabbage, sliced thin
1⁄4 green cabbage, sliced thin
1⁄2 medium-sized onion, diced
1⁄2 cup cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
For the Avocado-Cilantro Sauce:
1⁄2 cup plain low fat yogurt
1 ripe avocado, pitted and skinned
1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeno, chipped and seeded
Salt for Life to taste
1. In a small bowl, combine the paprika, garlic powder, dried oregano, onion powder, cumin, Salt for Life Sea Salt + Potassium Blend, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle the mixture over both sides of your tilapia fillets, and then rub the seasonings in.
3. Combine all the slaw ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
4. Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Once heated, add in the tilapia (a few at a time if you can’t fit them all at once). Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until the outside is blackened and the fish flakes apart easily.
Salt For Life allows people who can't eat specific recipes due to high sodium, to actual eat them. Every recipe you have can be made with Salt For Life. Just substitute regular table salt out for Salt For Life. It tastes the exact same, you cannot tell the difference at all.
You can find Salt For Life at many stores near you and they are quickly expanding their list. You can use their store locator to find it in your area: https://nuteksalt.com/saltforlife
5. Remove the fish from the heat, and if desired, warm the corn tortillas in the same skillet over medium heat, cooking for about 30 seconds on each side.
6. Break up the tilapia into 2-3” pieces. Stack the tortillas in twos. Distribute the fish evenly between the 6 sets of tortillas, and top with slaw, avocado-cilantro sauce and sprinkle on some Salt for Life Sea Salt + Potassium Blend to taste.
This recipe turned out so delicious. I had only had fish tacos like once or twice at a restaurant before this. I really, really love these. They are sooooo tasty and full of flavor. Salt For Life makes them even better because I know the sodium is 75% less.
You can also buy Salt For Life online. It sells for $3.99 for an 8.3oz container. You can also buy larger 15.2oz containers. https://nuteksalt.com/saltforlife
The amazing people at Salt For Life would like to give away one of their medium sized bottles 8.3oz to one lucky Simple Side of Life reader. Good luck and don't forget to to tweet daily for extra entries.